Building your own catio cat enclosure has saved you money and now that it comes time to add features to the inside of your outdoor cat enclosure we want to make sure you have the best resources for DIY Cat trees, DIY cat condos and cat scratching posts.
Your catio gives your kitties a place to safely play outdoors and adding areas where they can climb, claw, and perch themselves throughout the day will definitely make the happier cats.
Catio cat play structures can be some of the most expensive items you purchase for your felines. This information will help you choose the right ones for your cat and design and build your own catio DIY toys quickly and easily even if you don’t have much carpentry skills.
Below are some simple ideas for Cat Trees, Scratching Posts, building tips and various other helpful tidbits to get you on the fast track to building your kitties’ new Catio toys.
DIY Cat Trees and Scratching Posts
The Catio Cat Tower
This scratching post is tall enough for the cat to jump at and has rope wound around the top to help keep your kitties claws sharp.
- Timber post 800mm high x 100mm square
- Pine base 460 x 460mm x 20mm thick
- Carpet off cut
- Contact adhesive
- 4 x 50mm countersunk screws
- 2m x 10mm rope
- 7 clouts
- Cat toy
- Dried catnip
- Attach carpet to the base and lower half of the post with contact adhesive. Trim the edges.
- Center the post on the base. Pre-drill the pieces and screw them together.
- Wrap and glue the rope to the top half of the post. Secure both ends of the rope with clouts.
- Leave a 35cm rope overhang and attach a cat toy to the end.
- Sprinkle catnip on the carpet section and watch your kitty play for hours on end.
More cool catio cat enclosure accessories DIY coming soon
Submit your own in the comments below!